A History of Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph Hospital. Omaha, Nebraska - 1950
Highlight of the year 1950 was the visitation of Sister M. Emilie, Assistant Mother General of the Poor Sisters of Saint Francis Seraph at the world Motherhouse in Clpe, Westphalia, Germany, Sister M. Erailie arrived in the United States on July 2, accompanied by Sister M. Herman Joseph, from Germany where she is serving her term as Assistant Mother General. Following a week's visit with the Sister-3 hero at St. Joseph's Sister M. Emilie left Omaha August 4 on the second stage of a four months' tour to visit the institutions conducted by the Western Province of the Order.On June 6, the Sisters observed the 75th Anniversary of the coming of their Community to America. The rapid growth of the Order in this country can be seen by contrasting the six Sisters who arrived in New York in 1875 with the 72 institutions conducted by the Sisters throughout the western and mid-western states today. Also celebrating Jubilees in 1950 ware Sister M. Eleutheria Pick and Sister M. Romualda Nolle, both of whom have served Christ fifty years in the Franciscan Order.Other highlights of the year's history concerned improvement of facilities of the hospital. A pneumatic tube system, installed at a cost of $29,000, enables messages and small packages to be carried through the near-mile- long tubing system at the rate of 30 to 40 feet a second. Extensive renovations in the old cafeteria which could accomodate only student nurses and professional workers gave St. Joseph's a new, enlarged cafeteria capable of serving all the hospital employees. A combination Gift Shop and Coffee Shop was opened during the year for the convenience of hospital employees and patients.