A History of Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph Hospital. Omaha, Nebraska - 1952
Highlight of the year's history was the visitation conducted by Mother Fabiana Schulte, Mother General of the Poor Sisters of St. Francis Seraph at the World Motherhouse in Olpe, Westphalia, Germany. Mother was interested especially in Our Lady of Victory Unit, which had been constructed and occupied since her last visit to Omaha. After a week spent in Omaha in the latter part of June visiting the various Franciscan houses, Mother Fabiana left for Investiture ceremonies at the Motherhouse in Denver. At the completion of her tour of the Western Province, Mother Fabiana sailed in September for Germany.Responding to the emergency created by the worst polio epidemic in Nebraska's history, St. Joseph's opened Fourth Middle as a convalescent ward to reduce the pressure on Children's and County Hospitals -- the only two hospitals in Omaha equipped to handle polio in the acute state. Before autumn brought the usual drop in new cases, infantile paralysis had taken a high toll in lives, paralyzed or crippled limbs, and suffering by many hundreds of youngsters and adults. The 87 cases treated at St. Joseph's during the late summer and fall months received over 5,000 days of care -- an average stay of 58 days for each polio patient.