A History of Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph Hospital. Omaha, Nebraska – 1953
The year 1953 was one of prosperity and progress for St. Joseph's Hospital, with the opening in July of a Polio Rehabilitation Center highlighting that progress. In cooperating with the National Foundation of Infantile Paralysis and the local Chapter, St. Joseph's set up a Center equipped to help the respirator and chronically disabled Polio victims regain a semblance of normalcy and usefullness in their lives. By December, improvement could be seen in these patients, to who the use of even one muscle thought hopeless can mean so much. The Center should accomplish much good, alleviating the effects of 1952's Polio epidemic. Of great importance to the Community here at St. Joseph's Hospital was the news concerning the elections held at both the World Motherhouse in Germany and the Provincial Motherhouse in Denver. The Sisters were happy over the re-election of Mother Fabiana as Mother General of the Franciscan Community, and the choice of Mother Asella to succeed beloved Mother Reginalda as Provincial of the Western Province. The Sisters also rejoiced with Sister M. Nunziata as she celebrated her Golden Jubilee, in conjunction with the Feast of Saint Joseph on March 19.