A History of Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph Hospital. Omaha, Nebraska – 1954
Following the trend of progress in recent years, 1954 proved to be a record year in many ways for St. Joseph's Hospital. For the first time in the history of the institution total services soared above the $3,000,000.00 mark. Over 24,000 patients were treated during the year—this figure is aloo a new record for St. Joseph's.Continuous efforts were made to improve the care of patients. High- lighting the year's accomplishments was a sizeable addition to the hospital begun in April. The structure's two floors will provide an additional 15,000 square feet of space. Administrative offices—business office, insurance office, record room—will occupy the main floor. On the ground floor will be a central service department in which all auxiliary supplies for patients will bo prepared and issued. The $250,000.00 addition is the last unit of a $3,000,000.00 building program started in 1948. Installation of piped oxygen and construction of a new milk formula lab will add to facilities for patients.In July the Sisters found it imperative to raise room rates. Since the last increase in May, 1951, the hospital's annual payroll has increased over a half million dollars. The high payroll is largely responsible for the raise in rates.Highlight of the year for some of the Sisters was an opportunity to inspect personally the new Motherhou3e of the Order in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Several Sisters were on hand for dedication ceremonies March 15 and several others were able to visit there during the year.