A History of Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph Hospital. Omaha, Nebraska – 1955
St. Joseph's Hospital paused in its busy activity in April to celebrate its 75th anniversary under the Poor Sisters of St. Francis Seraph. Since 1080, when four Franciscan Sisters arrived in Omaha to take over the hospital from the Mercy Sisters, St. Joseph's has grown from a small wooden structure with 28 beds to several brick buildings with nearly nine acres holding 585 beds and 60 bassinets. The hospital observed the anniversary on April 17.St. Joseph's continued the record-breaking trend of the decade in 1955. New records set this year include three and a third million dollars of total services performed for nearly 40,000 patients In an effort to provide ever-improving service for its patients the hospital completed several important projects in-1955. ·New heated steps and sidewalk were installed at the main entrance to the hospital. A 71 000 foot piped oxygen system was completed which made oxygen instantaneously available in all patients' rooms and other essential areas. A two-story addition to the hospital was finished in August which provides 7, 500 square feet for administrative offices, medical record department and central service department.Another highlight of 1955 was the visitation in April of Mother Mary Fabiana, Mother General of the Poor Sisters of St. Francis at the world Motherhouse in Olpe, Westphalia, Germany. While in the United States, Mother Fabiana. announced the appointment of former business manager Francis J. Bath as assistant administrator of St. Joseph's.