Creighton University Newspapers

Creighton University is a private Catholic and Jesuit comprehensive university founded in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1878. For over a century, Creighton's newspapers have reported significant aspects of student life at our institution. The University Archives has most issues of two Creighton newspapers, the Creighton Courier and the Creightonian, published between June 1912 and April 2009 available online.

The Creighton Courier

The Creighton Courier began in June 1912 as a semi-monthly supplement to the Creighton Chronicle, a university journal that mixed campus news with academic articles by faculty. The emergence of the Creightonian led to the discontinuation of the Courier in 1924, but it was revived in November 1925 as a publication aimed at alumni. The Creighton Courier ended in 1927 and was replaced by the Creighton Alumnus magazine.

Project Support and Development

The digitization of Creighton newspapers occurred in several stages, the most recent of which was completed in 2010. In most instances, digital images were created from original newspapers from University Archives permanent collections. Creighton University's Department of Journalism, Media and Computing generously shared print copies when archival issues were missing or damaged. When print copies were not available, microfilm was used to create the digital files. There are some issues of the two newspapers, especially the Creighton Courier, that are missing. We hope to be able to add these to the online database in the future. Please contact the University Archives if you have one of these missing issues.

Copyright notice

The online versions of Creighton University newspapers are available for research and educational purposes only. Copyright and other restrictions may apply. Users are responsible for obtaining the necessary permissions to reprint, reproduce or make other uses of this material.

Recent Submissions

View more