Thirty-Ninth Annual Report of Creighton Memorial St. Joseph's Hospital Omaha，Nebraska for the Year Ending December 31，1918
Creighton Memorial St. Joseph's Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
The Creighton Memorial，St. Joseph’s Hospital，is the direct result of a bequest of $50,000 left by Mrs. John A. Creighton，who died September 30，1888. This was the nucleus of a hospital fund， which was augmented by her husband，the Honorable Count John A. Creighton. The building and grounds represent at present an outlay of over $750,000.The hospital is located at Tenth and Castellar Streets. It has a fronting of 470 feet，three wings running back 160 feet. It is four stories in height，the basement being above ground. The materials are pressed brick with brown stone trimmings， The grounds， about sixteen acres in extent，are sodded and laid out in flower plats with cement walks winding through them. The location is perfect for hospital purposes，and is sufficiently removed from the business part of the city，about one and one-half miles，to be free from its noises and dust，yet possessing all its advantages. It may be reached from the Union and Burlington stations by boarding a Farnam car, marked Bancroft or Riverview.The capacity of the hospital for patients is 350 beds, which number can be increased to 400 if necessary. The new addition contains a large number of private rooms， many of them en suite. Each wing has a surgical dressing room on each division; also a distributing kitchen. All floors are connected with the main kitchen by dumbwaiters. There are two broad stairways connecting the several floors and two electric elevators running from the basement to the fourth floor. Bath and toilet accommodations are in each wings on every floor. The corridors are covered with heavy linoleum to guard against the transmission of noises.Training School for NursesThis school is under the control of the Sisters of St. Francis. It is affiliated with Creighton University College of Medicine，whose instructors conduct the classes.The object of the Sisters in conducting the training school is to form young women possessed of the necessary qualifications to the noble self-sacrificing and delicate duty of caring for the sick in an intelligent manner.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Heaney, R. P. (1993)
Niemann, Nicholas K. (Creighton University School of LawOmaha, Nebraska, 1980)INTRODUCTION|Today's hospital is quite often the nucleus of a health care complex. Besides general patient care facilities, this complex usually includes doctors' offices, pharmacies, clinics, parking facilities, cafeterias ...
Drummy, William W. III (Creighton University School of LawOmaha, Nebraska, 1974)INTRODUCTION|In the past three decades this country has witnessed a major revolution in the field of medical services. The hospital, once nothing more than a hotel for the sick, has become an integral part of the healing ...